Eve online is one of the most massive online RPG. In fact, it’s so massive that it has about 30,000 players at one time on a single server. Though, all players have no problem of fitting in one server since Eden (Eve online universe) is astronomically huge. Eve online can also be intimidating because of its steep learning curve. That is why this article is written to help you get started Eve online.
1. Patience is a virtue. For the first few days, it can’t be helped to feel being overwhelmed. Just stick with it, and be patient. Sooner or later you will get accustomed to the rules of space.
2. Eve online has a 14-day trial period. Make use of this free time in understanding and exploring the game.
3. Don’t skip the tutorial. Unlike some other online RPG’s where you can skip the tutorial, in Eve online is a terrible idea. As mentioned before, Eve online has a steep learning curve, and if you don’t do the tutorial, it would even be steeper. As a bonus, you can gain a decent amount of money and get a better ship by doing the tutorial.
4. Leveling up is not similar to other online RPG’s. Eve online has a different leveling structure. Learning skills are based on real-time, and not on experience gained or game-time like other online RPG’s. Basically, you have to queue the skills you want to learn. These skills will finish learning even though you are not logged in, and doing other stuff such as work, sleep or school.
5. It is best that you specialize in one skill, and continuously learning it up. Being a jack of trades is not advisable.
6. Get a mentor if you can. It can either be a trustworthy ally, a helpful Corporation or a friend. Getting help from an experienced player is invaluable especially during your early stages. It can save you a lot of time if someone teaches you, rather than figuring it out yourself. Remember that Eve online has a steeper learning curve compared to other online RPG, and you’ll need all the help we can get.
7. Be psychologically prepared that you will eventually lose your ship. Maybe it will not happen today or tomorrow. But the truth is, it will eventually happen. It is simply the nature of the game.
8. Being psychologically prepared to lose your Eve ship does not mean you can go reckless with your ship. As a general rule, don’t fly your ship to anywhere if you’re not ready to lose it.
9. Credit and ship management is very important. Only risk losing a ship if you can replace it at least five times over.
10. Most importantly, have fun. If you’re not having fun with the game, then you are stressed out or you’re playing the game in a wrong way.